IHC promotes the development of all aspects of horsemanship and equestrian activities through a variety of programs; whether they are competitive, recreational or otherwise.
Island Ride & Drive
How do you earn prizes?
- Register: One time $25 registration fee
- Must be a current IHC member for your hours to count
- Open to all disciplines, riding, driving & groundwork enthusiasts
- Earn hours riding, trail riding, lessons, groundwork, clinics, showing, etc. (not including grooming, barn chores, lungeing, regular health maintenance, or transportation time to activities)
- Logsheets submitted twice annually (March & October)
- Logsheets valid for each horse/rider combination
- Each level receives a certificate of achievement, as well as a prize (*prizes may vary from list attached*)
P’tit Trot is a learning program designed for children 5 years and over who love horses and ponies and who want to take care of them while learning about them in the English or Western style.
The P’tit Trot book is very in-depth and well-illustrated, yet easy to follow and understand for young minds or those learning English. The coloured drawings and pictures combined with the educational notes help children to discover the ABC’s of the behaviour of the horses, the care they require, the attitude to have around them, as well as the basics of horseback riding in a safe environment.
Parents and Coaches:
Parents and coaches are encouraged to use this colorful and educational program, P’tit Trot can be used for day camps, beginner lesson programs, or just as a fun addition to any learning environment.
The P’tit Trot program is an introduction to the EC Learn to Ride Program in both English and Western riding. The coach helps the child learn all of the introductory lessons presented in each chapter of the book. The coach can then present the child with a certificate for each level they have reached: bronze, silver, gold, platinum.
Start Your Program Today
Subsidized by IHC, we have learning manuals, coloring books, and achievement certificate packages available for purchase. How can you get your hands on one of these kits? Stop into the IHC office and get your own for the exceptionally low price of $5 (pricing available on in-stock items only), brought to you by IHC funding and support.
KidSport PEI believes all Island children should have the opportunity to experience the positive benefits that sport offers. Organized sport teaches children important life skills, such as leadership, commitment, teamwork and self-confidence. Staying physically active is important for everyone, and playing sports helps develop healthy lifestyles for children across Prince Edward Island. KidSport PEI helps remove the financial barriers that limit some children from participating in sport in PEI.
- Parent/Guardian applies to KidSport on behalf of the child,
- KidSport approves the child for funding and contacts the Parent/Guardian,
- Parent/Guardian contacts the coach or stable, letting them know that they are approved for lessons,
- Coach contacts IHC office staff and informs them of the approval. Office staff must receive:
– the child’s first and last name, as well as the dollar amount approved
– a scan or picture of a completed membership form (available online) of the child for staff to input into the system
- Office staff confirms with KidSport, membership is processed and remaining funding is sent to the Coach.
- Since 1997, KidSport PEI has distributed $1,332,340.48 in grants to 7100 Island children to cover the cost of sport registration fees and/or equipment.
- KidSport PEI provides grants for children 18 years of age and under, to participate in organized amateur sport.
- KidSport grants are available to a maximum of $300, which can be applied to more than one sport per calendar year.
- Since 1998, Bell-Aliant has been the corporate partner of KidSport PEI. By financially supporting the administrative functions of our program, we can ensure 100% of all funds raised go to the children.
- There are over 40 provincial sport organizations in PEI that children can choose to participate in, using the KidSport program.
- The Province of Prince Edward Island provides in-kind support to the program.
Please visit the KidSport PEI website for more information.
Abegweit Show Series
Top photo by Tiffany Ball